There is no question that the market for fast food is highly competitive. Forecasts also indicate that it will remain on a growth path and that the major fast food chains will continue to expand their number of outlets. So how does the independent fish & chip shop compete and thrive? Whilst the reduction of costs is always important, it only makes sense if it corresponds with efficiencies, such that high standards can, at the same time, be maintained and improved. The presentation of quality food, efficiently produced and served in an environment that matches, at least locally, the marketing of the best national operations, is essential.
There was a time when the durability of a range was the principle reason for purchase. Now there are so many competitive reasons and technological advances in equipment, that even though ranges may last just as long as they always did, the progressive outlet will want to change to retain position in its market place.
A new range is the centrepiece of such change. So it follows that if these moves are being forced on shop owners, it is incumbent on the range manufacturer, as a major supplier, to be constantly improving its ranges to keep pace. A standard range will be equipped with frying pans, baskets, chip box, display cabinets and motorised extraction systems. Also mechanical gas thermostat controls and manual bucket filtration will make up the package. However much more than 'the standard' is frequently required. At Hewigo we feel there are four areas which outlets can prioritise to upgrade the performance of their ranges and these are areas that Hewigo is constantly refining.
- Efficiency - A high efficiency burner working at 93% efficiency means considerable savings in gas, cooking oil and raw material use. Evidence from Hewigo customers' experience indicates that this saving can be:- 30% on gas consumption: 40% in cooking oil usage: 20% in raw materials.
Other advantages are:-
- Increases in cooking speed give far greater cooking capacity than a standard range of similar size.
- More heat is productively used so less heat in the shop – greater comfort for customers and staff.
- Lower emission of poisonous fumes and carbon gases – makes a significant contribution to environmental protection.
- Hewigo's considerable experience with this technology ensures you have the most advanced products in this category.
- Hewigo High Efficiency ranges qualify for Carbon Trust interest free loans.
- Filtration - Here the latest Hewigo option is three-stage filtration. In addition to the standard coarse and fine crumb filters, the returning oil is now sucked under pressure through a third micro-filter. The result is a refinement of the oil such that it retains its optimum performance up to three times longer.
- Control - Sensitive digital control is available and can be combined with touchscreen technology if required for even more sensitive and visible control. It can also be linked to a frying management system to give both information and diagnosis.
- Design - Looks can be all important. The co-ordination of style and function is a vital aspect of marketing an outlet. Hewigo ranges can be finished in brushed or polished stainless steel with convex, concave or traditional styled front panels. Bespoke or standard graphic logos can be added for effect. Lighting is by fluorescent tube or the now very popular LED which offers endless combinations of colour and lighting sequences and also saves energy. Individually designed and matching cooking, storage and shelving areas can be made together with con-ordinated salad bars and removable counters.
Range makers can further help operators by making what they offer clearer and related to the specific needs of that operator. Just as we've moved on from longevity being a main determinant of choice, likewise a one-size fits all approach doesn't work any more. Range makers need to position themselves better in the minds of the operator. Hewigo realises that its ranges are not for everyone but are very popular in specific sections of the trade. Through our connections with the Dutch parent company, yet being British made, we can offer the technology of the best Dutch ranges (we were one of the pioneers of High Efficiency) but at a price that is a realistic investment for many businesses. We can also offer regular servicing and fast response to any breakdown through our own engineers – probably the engineers who built the range in the first place.
"We will only carry out a fully comprehensive service. Our Service Guide, available to both customers and non-customers, outlines in detail the full Hewigo servicing process and can be downloaded from our website at www.hewigo.com. This is a 9-point initial inspection and risk assessment and a 31-point servicing procedure. The service schedule includes maintenance to the flue extraction and sump through removing all grease filters and inspection doors to clean all accessible areas and check ducting for leaking joints," says Hewigo UK General Manager Phillip Purkiss. "Customers can contact us 24 hours per day and we will respond as quickly as possible to ensure minimum disruption to their business"